WE ARE HIRING
ARE YOU THE NEW MEMBER OF OUR YOUNG, DYNAMIC KITCHEN TEAM?
The Danish YWCA is a youth hostel for young Danes staying in London. We are their home away from home in the big city. We offer accommodation, give advice help in challenging situations. In our beautiful, Victorian house in wonderful Hampstead, in North-West London, we can house up to 65 people. We have shared meals during the week and Sunday breakfast. We are a house with a strong sense of community, based on openness, friendliness, and helpfulness.
About the role
As a kitchen assistant at the Danish YWCA, you will actively contribute to our purpose of being a home away from home by preparing and serving homecooked meals, by maintaining a clean and inviting home for our residents and in providing a welcoming atmosphere. You will be a part of our small, dynamic kitchen team of two employees and 3-4 volunteers.
You will be working 38 hours per week with duties including cooking and cleaning. We expect you to be able to work independently, be flexible to working in shifts including evenings and weekends and with variety if duties and responsibilities. It is a requirement, that you are 18 years old or above and have Right-to-work in UK.
In return you will become part of a lively house with a good atmosphere. This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience and skills in a commercial kitchen. The position is ideal for a recent college graduate but is open for all applicants. If you don’t meet all the requirements, we are committed to teach you.
General and required skills
- Basic cooking and baking skills using healthy ingredients
- Adaptability to working in a commercial kitchen
- Good time management and an understanding of the required standards for cleaning, food quality and hygiene
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of health and safety in a catering environment (applicants if they do not already have Food Hygiene Certificate Level 2 will be offered the course on employment)
- A great team player
- A willingness to learn and a positive attitude towards the wider staff of the hostels and residents
- It is desirable that applicants have wider cleaning skills but not essential
- Danish language is desired but not a requirement
What we offer
- Payment according to the national minimum wage rates + 5%
- Accommodation in a shared room can be provided (accommodation offset will be £60.10/week)
- Free meals during working hours
- Auto enrolment pension
- Holiday – 2.33 days per month (28 days, including Bank Holidays)
How to apply
If you want to know more about the job, please call us at 0207 435 7232 and we are happy to answer your questions. If you would like to apply for this role, please submit your CV and a short covering letter to our email: firstname.lastname@example.org.